Present: Ray Gillen, Brad Lewis, Bob Wall, Sharon Jordan, Gary McCarthy, Neil Golub, Bob Mantello, Janet Hutchison, Bill Chapman and Ed Capovani
Absent: Patrick Saccocio
Others: Jayme Lahut, Jim Callander, Robert Kristel, CPA and James Salengo (DSIC)
Call to Order: Mr. Gillen called the meeting to order at 6:00 p.m.
1. Approval of Minutes: Mr. Golub moved adoption of the February 9, 2011 meeting minutes; seconded by Mr. McCarthy and approved.
2. Treasurer’s Report: Robert L. Kristel, CPA, the Authority’s accountant, made an oral presentation reviewing the financial statements for the year ending December 31, 2010, which were distributed to the Board in advance of the meeting. The financials are used by the Authority’s auditors, Bollam, Sheedy, & Torani, in preparing the annual audit. Mr. Kristel reviewed the Balance Sheet, Revenue and Expense Statement, Cash Flow Statement and notes. He explained that the financial statements are prepared in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles. Upon completion of the final year-end audit by BST, the Fiscal Audit Committee will review with the auditors, with Board consideration at the next meeting.
3. Annual Meeting: Resolution 699-11 — Election of Officers
In accordance with provisions of the By-Laws, Resolution 699-11 appoints Sharon Jordan as Secretary and Bob Wall as Treasurer. Mr. McCarthy moved Resolution 699-11; seconded by Mr. Golub and approved unanimously.
4. Downtown Denny’s Façade Grant: Resolution 700-11 — Adopt the General Project Plan
Plans call for renovating the former Friendly’s at the corner of Nott Terrace and Liberty Street by Nott Terrace LLC and conversion to Denny’s restaurant. Renovations take about 6 months, and have already started. Metroplex participation involves a $25,000 façade grant for signage, painting, and awnings. The project is a Type II action under SEQRA. Mr. McCarthy moved Resolution 700-11; seconded by Ms. Jordan. Following brief, Resolution 700-11 was unanimously approved.
5. Downtown Schenectady Improvement Corporation: Resolution 701-11 — Adopt the General Project Plan
The project supports DSIC’s on-going operations, staffing and beautification activities for keeping the downtown clean, neat and safe 7-days a week. Metroplex participation involves a $170,000 grant to DSIC, a reduction from prior years. DSIC clean up occurs, weekdays, weekends and following special events. Seasonal activities include snow plowing at pedestrian crosswalks, hanging flower baskets, maintaining tree beds and maintaining landscaped areas downtown. Mr. McCarthy moved Resolution 701-11; seconded by Mr. Golub. Discussion followed in support of DSIC’s clean-up program. Resolution 701-11 was approved (Mrs. Hutchison abstained).
6. Project Updates — Ray Gillen and Jayme Lahut discussed Foster building stabilization, obtaining Board evaluations for the audit, and distribution of sales tax receipts to the Towns and Villages.
7. Public Comment — Jim Salengo, DSIC Executive Director, thanked the Board for supporting of the Environmental Enhancement Program and the strong working relationship with Metroplex.
8. Board Comment — There was general discussion about a variety of topics including the Van Dyck brewery, the Schenectady Museum, Upper Union Streetscape project and strategic marketing.
Adjournment –- Mr. Golub moved to adjourn; seconded by Mr. Lewis. The meeting was adjourned at 6:45 p.m.
Jayme B. Lahut