Present: Ray Gillen, Brad Lewis, Sharon Jordan, Ed Capovani, Bill Chapman, Neil Golub Bob Mantello and Karen Zalewski-Wildzunas
Absent: Bob Wall and John Mallozzi
Others: Jayme Lahut, David Hogenkamp and an audience of 1
Call to Order: Mr. Gillen called the meeting to order at 6:00 p.m.
1. Approval of Minutes: Mr. Golub moved adoption of the August 13, 2014 meeting minutes; seconded by Mrs. Zalewski-Wildzunas and approved.
2. Treasurer’s Report: Mr. Lahut reviewed the Treasurer’s Report for the period ending August 31, 2014, which was distributed prior to the meeting. He noted that revenues are ahead of budget because sales tax receipts were higher than forecast. Operating expenses continued to track within budget. The Predevelopment Budget was discussed at the recent Fiscal Audit Committee, which is tracking higher than expected, but the committee recommended no changes to the budget. Cash on hand totaled $12.2 million. Following brief discussion, Mr. Lewis moved to accept the Treasurer’s Report; seconded by Mr. Golub, and approved.
3. CTDI Project: Resolution 918-14 — Authorization to Adopt the General Project Plan
In November 2013, Metroplex led Schenectady County’s unified economic development team in securing an $11 million, 151,000 square foot facility for CTDI in the Glenville Business and Technology Park. The project opened in July and of the 180 employees planned to be hired, 120 are already employed. Founded in 1975, Communications Test Design Inc. (CTDI) offers a broad array of services from repairing set-top box/cable modems, cell site equipment and data networks, to engineering services and distributing wireless equipment. CTDI employs 6,800 people at 70 facilities worldwide. Resolution 918-14 authorized a Metroplex grant of $175,000 grant in support of the project using bond proceeds from the Smart Growth Initiative Fund. Mr. Capovani moved Resolution 918-14; seconded by Mr. Lewis. After brief discussion, Resolution 918-14 was approved.
4. Schenectady County Public Library Project: Resolution 919-14 — Award Contract
Resolution 919-14 authorized Metroplex to contract with Jersen Construction to replace sidewalks, rebuild tree planters and reestablish the landscaped areas in front of the Library main branch in downtown Schenectady. Jersen Construction was the lowest qualified bidder at $309,000. Ms. Jordan moved Resolution 919-14; seconded by Mr. Mantello. After brief discussion, Resolution 919-14 was approved.
5. Lower State Street Project: Resolution 920-14 — Adopt the Amended General Project Plan
Resolution 920-14 increased the project budget by $241,000 to complete additional work, primarily filling in or repairing 54 underground vaulted areas that had been uncovered. (The original scope of work identified 17 vaults.) The improvements will help Metroplex attract new development opportunities from Erie Blvd. to SCCC. Mr. Mantello moved Resolution 920-14; seconded by Ms. Jordan. Following discussion, Resolution 920-14 was approved.
6. Lower State Street Project: Resolution 921-14 — Make Application to National Grid
Resolution 921-14 authorized Metroplex to make application to National Grid for a $250,000 grant in support of the streetscape project. National Grid’s Urban Center/Commercial District Revitalization program supports “smart growth” investment in central business districts and commercial corridors. If awarded, the grant would offset street lighting expenses and certain infrastructure improvements. Mrs. Zalewski-Wildzunas moved Resolution 921-14; seconded by Mr. Chapman. Following discussion, Resolution 921-14 was approved.
Public Comment: None
Board Comment: Mr. Golub updated the Board on Ellis Hospital’s role in the community, improved services and facilities, including the recently built emergency center.
Adjournment: Ms. Jordan moved to adjourn, seconded by Mr. Lewis. The meeting was adjourned at 6:30 p.m.
Jayme B. Lahut