(Schenectady County, NY – November 10, 2016) The Schenectady County Legislature has voted to appoint the first Board of Directors for the newly created County Tourism and Convention Visitors Bureau at the November 9, 2016 County Legislature Regular Meeting.
“The County Legislature is very encouraged by the support shown for the creation of the Convention Visitors Bureau and the enthusiasm of those interested in serving on the Board,” said Anthony Jasenski, Chair of the Schenectady County Legislature. “This Board and the new Schenectady County Tourism and Convention Bureau will build a dynamic organization that will help attract conventions, meetings and welcome the hundreds of thousands of new visitors that will be coming into our community beginning next year.”
The Schenectady County Tourism and Convention Visitors Bureau will soon be a not-for-profit corporation expressly chartered to coordinate conferences, conventions and other tourism initiatives and to promote the many arts, cultural, entertainment, and leisure activities that Schenectady County has to offer. The newly appointed Board of Directors will be made up of various stakeholders with interests throughout the County representing different segments of the County’s hospitality, arts, cultural, and entertainment sectors, both big and small. The Bureau will bring planning, leadership, and an enhanced cohesiveness to the County’s tourism efforts. Jeff McDonald has been named President and Brooke Spraragen has been named Vice President of the newly formed organization.
“It is an honor to be named the first President of the new County Tourism and Convention Bureau,” said Mr. McDonald. “I am confident that together with our board of community partners we will position Schenectady County as a true tourism destination and build on the successful work that has already been done to promote all that we have to offer.”
Funding for the Schenectady County Tourism and Visitors Bureau will come from the County’s hotel/motel bed tax which is restricted for county-wide arts and tourism efforts.
Newly Appointed Board Members include:
- Kate Kosineski, Proctors – by the Chairman
- Mona Golub, Music Haven – by the Vice-Chair
- Ray Legere, Legere Properties/Schenectady Armory – by the Deputy Chair
- Jeffrey McDonald, Stockade Inn – by the Majority Leader
- Joseph Popolizio, Waters Edge Lighthouse – by the Minority Leader
- Joseph Jones, DoubleTree by Hilton
- Jeff Michaelson, Courtyard by Marriott
- Carney McGuire, Rivers Casino and Resort
- Brooke Spraragen, Galesi Group
- David Brough, SCCC
- Cathy Gatta, Member of the Legislature
- Richard Ruzzo, Member of the Legislature
- Matthew Mazzone, Mazzone Hospitality
- John Mallozzi, Johnny’s Restaurant
- Mary Zawacki, Schenectady County Historical Society
- Peter Bednarek, Wolf Hallow Brewery
- Tara Burnham, miSci
Contact: Joe McQueen